Freedom Summer Overview
- Where? - The Freedom Summer took place in towns scattered throughout the state of Mississippi with their many "Freedom Schools".
- When? - The protest took place in the summer of 1964.
- Who Led it? - Organizations such as CORE, SNCC, and the NAACP were the main leaders of the protest. However, the man appointed to being in charge was the man by the name of Robert Moses, the Head Organizer of the SNCC.
- Goals - The number one goal of the Freedom Summer was to put an end to the disenfranchisement of blacks in the Deep South.
- Was it Successful? - YES. The Freedom Summer gained national support for their cause, and eventually led to the establishment of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, which completed what the Freedom Summer had set out to do."